asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Power Usage

Hi Guys!

I'm a bit frustrated with video card 'switching' on my UL30VT. I'm aware we
can't hot swap as it's done in Windows, but the solutions to activating one
or the other I have seen so far are all over the place and I just can't make
it work.

My current setup:
- Ubuntu 10.10 (KDE is my environment of choice)
- Running NVIDIA only (this was accomplished by installing the NVIDIA
drivers and then changing the HDD settings to compatible in BIOS)

My first question:
- Will I really see a significant drop in power usage if I had only Intel
running? With just Firefox and terminal open powertop is reporting ~12W
(swings between 10 and 14W). For those out there running on Intel, what's
your power usage under these cirscumstances? It's hard for to me assess the
battery life because I use the laptop on intervals and performing various
tasks (I hope to be getting at least 6 hours of just browsing). If I won't
get a decent battery life boost, I will just give up on trying to switch to
Intel only (I really don't need to be running NVIDIA since I don't play any
games or use the HDMI out).

 I'm not new to Linux, but have never had these type of issues in the past
so I don't know much about acpi. The instructions I have found on the web
are not very clear. On a bright note, the upgrade to 10.10 went better than
I expected (only hibernate doesn't seem to be working, it hangs ... suspend
works much quicker than 10.04).

 Thanks a million.
Heliel