asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: how to switch back to intel card by default on UL80

 On 15/10/2010 11:47, Marco Rofei wrote:

I have an asus UL80-vt who worked near perfect out of the box with Lucid
Lynx. But I have installed this week the new Maverick Meerkat with
difficulties, because it's selecting the nVidia card with the liveCD and
after the install. To make the install i had to déactivate de intel
graphic card (with the compatibility hard drive tip).

The laptop works more or less well, but only on nvidia, it's great when
I am at home, but it's hell when I am on battery. How do I switch back
to the intel graphic card by default ? is there now a tool to use both
cards depending on the needs ?

I have the same notebook and, with maverick, i haven't noticed such as difficulties. Installation works fine, after it you got both VGA working. Try,

/lspci | grep VGA/

and you will se both cards.
If you install the nvidia drivers (from repository) then only nvida card works, and intel one is deactivated by the nvidia driver. You have to change your BIOS SATA setting from Enhanced to compatible, if not you can't access ubuntu in graphical mode.

If you want to use intel one, go back to enhanced mode, ad try the acpi_call method that switch off Nvidia card.

MR

Tanks for your answer.

So, it work this way the first time. Today, seeing your post I wanted to try to install a fresh ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop, using the same usb pen drive containing the ubuntu 10.10 AMD64.

First notice, this time the live system booted up directly. Second notice, it keeped my wifi pass, my last commands, my firefox history... ok why not. And after the install... no more problem, the laptop is working fine on the intel graphic card.

Don't know what appen the first time.

Tanks

YoBoY