asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Fwd: Problem installing Ubuntu 10.10

Forwarding this to mailing list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Problem installing Ubuntu 10.10
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:49:02 -0000
From: jag3068 <jag3068@xxxxxxxxx>
To: kttywu <kttywu@xxxxxxxx>

Here come the words that probably fill you all with dread... I am new to
Linux! Well, fairly new at least. I have been running Ubuntu 10.10 on my
old laptop for a couple of months now and love it. However, I just got a
new Asus U31JG and I cannot install Ubuntu at all. There have been
various issues in the process that have absorbed a lot of time but I
won't bore you with the details. At present, trying to install 10.10
from a LiveCD, the installation process goes right through to the point
where a dialogue box appears asking if I want to try ubuntu or install
it. Almost immediately the box disappears and the install stops at the
purple splash screen with no cursor visible. I understand that this is a
video card problem but can't find a work around that actually works.

Tried doing an F6 and installing with the 'nomodeset' and 'ACPI=off'
options but, basically, the same result (except that it is the 'choose
your language screen' that disappears almost instantly).

Also tried booting an alternate iso from USB drive but I just couldn't
get that to work.

If anyone has any words of advice, I'd be really grateful. Thanks.
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by
jag3068 (https://launchpad.net/~jag3068)