bashareteam team mailing list archive

Subscribe to commit emails for our main branch

I propose that all BaShare developers (both current and future)
subscribe themselves to "commit emails": emails that get sent whenever
a commit or change is applied to a branch. I have learned that it is
really useful when somebody else has a look at your commit, not only
to spot potential errors, but also to (maybe) have some ideas about
how to improve the change, etc.

To do this, you have to go to the address of the main branch:
    https://code.launchpad.net/~bashareteam/bashare/main

Normally, you should already see your name on the right side, in the
"Subscribers" list. Click on the yellow "Edit" icon. On the following
page, you should adapt the settings so as to receive an email whenever
a commit is made, and it is useful if the diff is included in the
email. That way you can directly analyze the change right from your
email and don't have to go to another page to see the changes.

These are the settings that I have personally applied:

    Notification Level: Branch attribute and revision notifications
    Generated Diff Size Limit: 1000 lines
    Code review Level: Email about all changes

I propose that we (Guido and I) both set this up, and that we make
sure that potential new developers apply this too. Guido, what do you
thing about that rule?

It is a small burden that can greatly improve the quality of the software.

If you want more information about why to use commit emails, I highly
recommend reading the section called "Practice Conspicuous Code
Review" in Karl Fogel's book "Producing  Open Source Software - How to
Run a Successful Free Software Project"
    http://producingoss.com/en/setting-tone.html#code-review
    http://producingoss.com/en/vc.html#commit-emails

In fact, I would just recommend reading the whole book. I am currently
reading it, and I've learned A LOT about standard open source coding
practices.
    http://producingoss.com/

Cheers,
Emilien.