bashareteam team mailing list archive

About release numbering

Guido,

I have seen that you have modified the version number in your latest
commit, rev 36.
In my opinion, a version number should only be modified between 2
RELEASED versions, not each time something gets added to the version
control (the version control already takes care of granular details,
so we don't need to update the version control each time something
gets modified in the source code). If you look at the changelog file,
all these versions have never been publicly released, and thus don't
mean a lot. As most of BaShare user's will probably install BaShare
from the packages (and not from version control), the version numbers
should make sense for these users. If people want to play with the
code that is currently being developed, they can use the version
control numbers (rev 34, rev 35, etc...)

I think that a good discussion about version numbers can be found in
chapter 7 of "Producing  Open Source Software" by Karl Fogel (
http://producingoss.com/en/development-cycle.html ), and especially in
http://producingoss.com/en/development-cycle.html#release-number-simple-strategy

Please tell me if you strongly disagree with this.

Emilien.