bashareteam team mailing list archive

Removing the compiled .mo translation files from version control...

Guido,

I would like to propose to remove the .mo files from the repository.
I have just (rev 94) created a script that will automatically compile
the translation files, so we could write that in the README file so
that people that get their copy of the source code have the
instructions of how to get the translations working.
To run the script, just type this in a console at the root of the repository:
    ./compiletranslations.py
Easy, no?

I think that rev 95 proves that it is the wrong thing to have the .mo
files in Bazaar, as they where not up to date! If someone had
downloaded the source code at revision 93, he would have had both .po
and .mo files, so he would have thought that everything was OK, but
no, half of the .mo files where out of date...

This will especially be true now that we have automatic .po imports
from Launchpad. Each time someone updates the translations in
Launchpad, the .mo file will automatically be outdated!

I will let you remove the .mo files from the repository, because I
don't want to force you. But to make it easy, this is the command ;)
    bzr remove BaShare/.lang/*.mo

I hope you will understand why I think that having the compiled files
is a wrong thing...

Emilien.