blueman team mailing list archive

blueman works great tethering with my iPhone

Hi!

I have an iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.0 beta5, with a modified carrier
settings file to enable internet tethering. It works great with my
macbook from OS X, just click on the bluetooth menu, select my iphone,
and click connect.

Last week I upgraded my macbook from Jaunty to Karmic Alpha 1 while at
UDS, and I left the blueman packages from jaunty installed. I'm
delighted to report that today, I was able to very easily tether via
bluetooth to the iPhone! Using the blueman UI, I marked my iPhone as
trusted, then right-clicked on it and chose Network Access -> Network
Access Point. My computer connected, NetworkManager noticed the new
connection and joined it, and I was able to use the internet!

The only minor thing that didn't work as well was when I suspended my
laptop, the connection wasn't terminated (my phone thought someone was
still connected). When I suspend in OS X, it drops the bluetooth
connection (or at least the phone no longer things someone is connected).

Thank you very much for working on blueman, this is absolutely
fantastic, for the first time I've been able to use 3G networking just
as easily from Ubuntu as I am from OS X. Keep up the awesome work, and I
hope you are able to make blueman the default in Karmic!

--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/