brewtarget-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Sugar calculations

Welcome Tim!

You are right about the can of worms. Storing multiple efficiency numbers
definitely sounds like a good idea to me, and adjusting loss/efficiency
numbers for recipe ingredients could be interesting.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Tim Payne <swstim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Efficiency is indeed a can of worms.  BeerSmith picks the nit by reporting
> two efficiencies - mash efficiency (conversion + lauter or to-the-kettle)
> and total brewhouse efficiency (to-the-fermentor).  But as you mention
> BeerXML uses "total brewhouse efficiency" in the recipe/equipment
> definitions.  I think the typical way of calculating here is all
> fundamentally flawed - efficiency is a function of both the equipment and
> the recipe; trub loss can be significantly higher with a high hop load if
> you filter before the fermentor (needed with plate chillers) or use leaf
> hops.  Also lauter efficiency varies with OG and sparge method.  This is a
> hot button issue for me and it's one of the top items on my personal todo
> list to try to rectify, or at least decouple the issues somehow.
>
> Just off the top of my head I propose adding equipment parameters for
> "mash efficiency", "vol loss per pellet hop oz/g", "vol loss per leaf
> oz/g", and maybe "mash efficiency loss per OG point".  Existing trub loss
> would be a constant across recipes and would be chiller/deadspace/break
> loss.  Zeroing the loss fields would keep things the same for the folks who
> don't filter anything or just don't care.  I will add a blueprint for this
> soon.
>
> Adding more confusion is that definition of "brewhouse efficiency" varies
> depending on who you talk to.  There's a bit of discussion here:
> http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency and
> there's lots more if you search homebrewtalk.  So, I like to use "total
> brewhouse efficiency" to clarify when possible.
>
> Tim
>
> PS Hey all, another new guy here.
>
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Philip Lee <rocketman768@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM, mik firestone <mikfire@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> In a small word, the brewnote efficiency calculations are rather messed
>>> up. I'm using the postboil gravity when I should be dealing with the
>>> preboil. I'm trying to unwind this right now but I keep running into weird