brewtarget-devs team mailing list archive

Re: v2.0.1 release builds

I think the big problem is the multi platform stuff. I'm considering a new mac mini, on which I could setup build automation (sometime this summer I think), but that doesn't solve the Windows problems. I may be able to get a Windows 7 setup going as well as a VM, but again, it will be a few months before this will be running. I still have to solve some house issues, and my job keeps getting in the way.

The other problem here is testing. Who tests these regular builds? Hudson will do an automated thing, and it's easy to setup, but we have no test framework. It probably wouldn't be too hard to write some test harness code, something more modular to test classes that hudson could run for sanity, but we still have to test the gui at some regular points. Nightlies work great if you have a handful of volunteers who can regularly test to a script and provide meaningful feedback. Maybe we have enough now, but it's hard to guess whether it could work.

If we had more "full" time devs, or even more part timers, this sort of big setup might be manageable, but I count two full timers, and only several more part timers.

The solution here might be to not worry about it today. We put together a list of tests we have to run to certify a release, and we make sure we have enough people with working setups to build for Mac and Windows, and provide Fedora and Debian packages. I know we missed some bugs, but until we have a larger base willing to commit some time to help us package and test, this is really a difficult process.

Sorry, I don't like being Debbie Downer, but I don't want to see the whole project falter because we tried too many things or to be too big.