bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: Hello

Thanks for the reply and the welcome, Brian!

It's good to know that I can get responses to my questions. The
documentation I have read includes:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/CommonTasks
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Improving
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage

These pages have a lot of information in them, and I would venture to say
that pretty much all bases are covered concerning information about bug
triaging. The only problem is, it doesn't seem very intuitive at the
moment. As in, one is still left wondering "Where to start?"

I received a good clue in the "Untriaged Bugs" section of the
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage/ page:

"To start, just pick one of the recent ones and open the link in your
favorite browser. Try to pick bugs that affect software or parts of the
system you are familiar with yourself, as this will help you decide how
complete the report is, and make it easier for you to reach the grail of
reproducing the bug. If no one else has commented yet this bug could be
yours!"

That's a good paragraph. It says *start here*. Also, it would be very
helpful for people like me to have more examples; a step-by-step look at an
actual bug, and what an experienced bug triager might do with it. If there's
something in there like that, I missed it.

The https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage page is nice. I like the
"Common Scenarios" section. It has graphic examples, as well as numbered
step-by-step instructions. I respond well to that kind of approach. I
understand that there are so many different factors in triaging bugs, a
step-by-step approach may not be appropriate or efficient. But a few
examples of the triaging process for any given bug would be helpful.

 I'll keep working at it! I don't want to come across as a complete
ignoramus, but I do want to make sure that I triage bugs correctly when I
get started. I'll need to install Ubuntu 10.10 on VMWare Player on my PC
here at work, because I simply don't have time when I'm at home. Then I can
get on with the business of trying to reproduce bugs. I realize that I don't
need to reproduce bugs to find duplicates, among other such tasks.
But...I'll keep working at it. :)

Thanks!