bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Testing Unity with Virtual Box....hmmm

I had this working last week but I've been installing the latest iso's and have run into an interesting problem.

Install goes pretty much OK except for https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/725785 gsettings-data-convert closed unexpectedly on log in.

Now when I add the VBox extensions and reboot the display is blank. The system does boot and after the 10th install or so I have sshd installed to see what's going on.

The problem seems to be reported in syslog as:

   Mar 19 14:09:04 natty2 gdm-binary[980]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display
   lasted 0.046186 seconds
   Mar 19 14:09:04 natty2 gdm-simple-slave[1064]: WARNING: Unable to
   load file '/etc/gdm/custom.conf': No such file or directory
   Mar 19 14:09:04 natty2 acpid: client 1062[0:0] has disconnected

lshw reports:

        *-display UNCLAIMED
             product: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
             vendor: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 00
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: vga_controller bus_master
             configuration: latency=0
             resources: memory:e0000000-e7ffffff

So I don't think it's VBox's fault.

This is a clean install with zsync'ed live CD today 3/19/2011. Happens with both 32 and 64 bit versions.

I can't seem to find any references to how to create gdm.conf, If you know of one or could email something to start with I'd appreciate it.

I could figure out how to file a bug but now that I wrote this email I think I'll just file a bug with most of it as the description.

Joe