bumblebee team mailing list archive

Faking quad buffers for 3D TV (with bumblebee)

Hi there.

I think this would be a really great feature for bumblebee!

I tried to get this feature included with VirtualGL:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualgl/forums/forum/401860/topic/5335139

but the project owner seemed sure it was impossible.

Then I read docs/index.html - section 16.1.3 Passive Stereo
where it appears he's talking about this exact feature, except for
"must be used with specific display hardware".

The whole point of my post is that I can use a 2D OpenGL card to play YouTube 3D
videos - and get to see them in 3D on my 3D TV - I just press the 3D button.

Without a 3D TV you'll see two images, left-right, top-bottom or interleaved.

It looks like VirtualGL is insisting that the graphics card supports quad
buffers, even though VGL can send stereo 3D "as images" and have custom clients
to process them.

So that looks like VGL only presents the visuals the native card provides and
can't fake stereo visuals.

What do you think?

Regards,
Philip Ashmore