canonical-x team mailing list archive

Re: Unity pointer barriers update for xserver 1.14?

On 07.02.2013 20:34, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
On 06.02.2013 22:26, Bryce Harrington wrote:
On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 05:52:14PM +0100, Didier Roche wrote:
Just a quick followup after discussing with Thomas:
it would be great to have the diff in term of protocol between our
patch and the new version of it so that we can see if it's cheaper
(due to the restrained resource) to either revert the upstream fix
and reapply our patch or just go the new road.

Do you mind providing us that so that we can estimate the needed work?
Thanks,
Didier

Alright.  I'm attaching what I think you need.  Due to the nature of the
changes I think a straight up diff wouldn't be usable.  The protocol is
relatively concise but a lot of things have changed names, and the
protocol bits are moved out of xserver to libxi and inputproto.  I think
it's going to be simpler to just review the original patch and the API
docs for the new code.

was:
   500_pointer_barrier_thresholds.diff is the original code, that Unity
   currently uses.

is:
   pb-events.txt is Peter's intro about the new code changes.
   inputproto.patch and libxi.patch are the protocol changes that have
been
   implemented upstream.

The full changeset with all the server changes was presented upstream in
December, and essentially went in as-is (maybe modulo a few bug fixes):

   http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2012-December/034690.html

So, you'll need three X packages for your work - x11proto-input, libxi,
and xorg-server.  The first is already in raring, the other two we'll be
putting in this PPA, probably within the next day or so:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-nexus7/+archive/staging/+packages?field.series_filter=raring

I think it should be ready for porting now, inputproto is already in
raring, libxi on the ppa along with fixesproto & libxi with the old
implementation removed, once everything is built that is..

Xserver & drivers are not there yet but you don't need them for other
than perhaps testing it :) We'll get to it tomorrow though, so hang on.

Ok this is now installable, the free drivers and nvidia-310 should work with the new server.

--
timo.aaltonen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx