checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Re: CEP-8 Update (v3)

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki
<zygmunt.krynicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Typing from so excuse the brevity
>
> On Thursday, February 19, 2015, Jeffrey Lane <jeffrey.lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> Seriously, what I do at least somewhat grok so far is the changes to
>> remove whitelists and define those in Units.
>
> Whitelists are supported forever and you don't have to take any action.
>
> It is only when you want to provide additional meta-data or acces new
> features will you have to worry about those.
>
> Internally we have a 1-to-1 mapping between those.

Yeah, it's the new features that prompted me to ask... I noticed
Sylvain's unit file has tests marked as Blocker or non-blocker and I'm
curious about that feature.

In my mind, I've always thought it would be great to mark a test as
"blocker" or "non-blocker" and then have the results give me a PASS if
all Blocker tests pass, FAIL if any Blocker test fails, and then a
"PASS - Check Results" or something like that if all Blockers pass but
some Non-Blockers failed.

So maybe I'm just projecting my own desires on Sylvain's branch.  If
not, then Awesome! and GET OUT OF MY MIND!

>> I looked over Sylvain's MP to do that for the client cert whitelist.
>> I took the liberty of going ahead and adding a story card to do
>> likewise for server, so I thought I'd ask if that is something we
>> should look at soon, or put off for a bit?
>
> There is no rush. Have you read CEP-8 by any chance?

I may have glanced over it a while back, perhaps.. link?

> Thanks
> ZK
>

>> Cheers
>> Jeff
>>
>> P.S. Really, the sidebar above was meant mostly as a joke, but I am
>> interested in keeping up with the dev roadmap and progress for
>> plainbox/checkbox since we are a direct consumer of / contributor to
>> that effort.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki
>> <zygmunt.krynicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hey. It's time for another CEP-8 update:
>>>
>>> - All of the parser related work is now finished. There's one unmerged
>>> revision [1] but it was already past the initial review and I expect
>>> it to land
>>> - I've proposed a set of new APIs for working with data from test plan
>>> units. I've specifically changed it from what I had earlier so that
>>> working with multiple test plans is possible. This is the CDTS
>>> use-case but I think it's okay to do it in general. The code is fairly
>>> tested and readable [2] though I haven't tried using it for real
>>> - I've started rebasing my earlier bulk and unitary method on top of
>>> that, so that it is possible to work with multiple test plans.
>>> - We now have test plans for CDTS and Certification [3], [4] that have
>>> been reviewed by Ara and are both ready to land as soon as [2] lands.
>>>
>>> Next week I'll focus on gluing this to plainbox run so that we can
>>> verify the test report format and contents and I'll work towards
>>> making it possible to use in checkbox-gui. The one risk there is we
>>> need to remember (know) which test plans were pre-selected but this
>>> knowledge, AFAIK, so far only exists in checkbox-gui (ironically). It
>>> can be re-constructed in plainbox so I'm not worried at all, it's just
>>> a matter of getting that done.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> ZK
>>>
>>> [1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~zkrynicki/checkbox/cep-8/revision/3587