checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Update on refreshing the Checkbox Stack in Debian

Hey

I'd like to give an update on where we are with refreshing the
Checkbox Stack in Debian.

Currently the stack is composed of the following source packages:
- plainbox
- checkbox-support
- checkbox-ng
- plainbox-provider-resource-generic
- plainbox-provider-checkbox

As of tonight, plainbox-provider-resource-generic and checkbox-support
are ready in SVN and I've sent RFS[1] to get them refreshed. The
plainbox package is also ready but I haven't sent the RFS since I'm
waiting on the status of my de-vendorization query. As you know,
plainbox bundles a number of smaller libraries so that we don't have
to create Debian packages up front for everything. I'm in the process
of de-vendorizing everything but this will take time (roughly two
months). I hope that we can still get the stack as-is relatively
quickly (3 weeks) and proceed with de-vendorization in the background.
The remaining checkbox-ng and plainbox-provider-checkbox packages are
blocked and I cannot send RFS for that yet. They will become unblocked
as the packages mentioned earlier land and become available.

I haven't completed plainbox-provider-checkbox updates yet. That will
be my goal for tomorrow. The update to checkbox-ng is trivial but due
to dependencies, it will land last.

Now for the de-vendorization story. I've devised a number of new
packages that we currently ship as vendor modules. They are:
- python-morris (the signal / event library)
- python-padme (the small proxy library)
- python-pyglibc (glibc API)
- python-textland (ncurses-like api)

There is one more library but I haven't finished making it yet. It
contains the essence of creating text applications (clitools + logging
+ sphinx-manpage). It will materialize sometime later this week.

Out of the group, I've sent RFS for python-padme and I've already sent
ITP[2] for python-morris which will actually be called
python-zyga-morris or something like that due to a clash with morris
[3]. Since all of those will take a long time (month or two) to clear
NEW [4] it is important to start early so that we can get them in time
for Ubuntu N+1 and well in time for 16.04.

All of the packages here will end up in DPMT [5] and PAPT [6]. All of
the code is commited to the SVN repository. Refer the the Vcs-Browser
header in each control file for details. If you have any questions,
please let me know, thanks!

Best regards
ZK

[1] RFS - request for sponsorship