checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Re: On why we should not detect thunderbolt

On 25/03/15 11:00, Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:
> Hey.
>
> So my opinion on thunderbolt is that it is actually pretty good that
> we cannot detect it. The last thing we should do is ask the user. At
> the end of the day, we'll clone all the tests and replace the word
> "display port" with "thunderbolt".

So, we have three tests to create:

1) Displays - I agree that in this case it is equivalent to DP
2) TB Storage
3) Ability to put a TB storage device connected to the TB monitor, which
is connected to the system.

> The only exception is the daisy-chain test which should IMHO follow
> our dependency step process where we ask the user to setup a
> particular configuration before doing a off-the-mill storage test.

Exactly, that's the exception, but that's a test that we need to create,
and only offer to those systems that have a TB port.

That's why we need to identify those TB (by asking the user), just
because of the daisy chain one, but that's enough to have the test.

Specially because we have just 1 TB monitor, so imagine that you are
testing a system (from a pile that you need to test) and you don't
realize it is a TB one:

1) You start testing
2) Checkbox thinks is a DP, so asks you to plug a DP monitor
3) You do it
4) Then it asks you to do daisy chain, if you have a TB port, and then
you realize it is actually a TB one, so you need to remove that monitor
and go and get the TB one. This wastes time.

I think we should ask the user whether this is a TB system, and do it at
the very beginning of the run.

Thoughts?
Ara.