clicompanion-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Clicompanion 1.1 release process

On 11/25/2011 02:02 PM, bdfhjk wrote:

> I have looked at new commands. They are good, thanks!

Now there are about 40 more :)  I also fixed minor problems with a
couple from the earlier set.  So, I provided exactly 100 commands to add.

> If someone have some time, please check
> https://code.launchpad.net/~clicompanion-devs/clicompanion/fix-819038
> and test it will correctly override old config file in our system -
> and make review.

(1) The

  print "PLEASE RESTART APPLICATION TO FINISH UPDATE"

looks pretty bad; can't the program convert the library and then re-read
it, and continue, without the user even knowing the conversion happened?
 Also, is this output string translatable?

(2) How will the new version (with new commands in the default library)
add them to existing (modified) libraries?  The approach taken seems to
have been to *copy* the system default config to each users home dir and
then modify it, not just read it and add the user's additional entries.
 So now, how do we upgrade people without losing their custom changes??
 We need to "merge" the new default command list with the user's
existing personal library, I think?

> Any thoughts regarding changing database to XML and store additional
> informations about commands?

I suggest we leave that for 1.2 .  Also, XML?  Or sqllite, so you have a
database you can search?  Either way, there will be a need for
import/export/conversion, so this is not a simple change.

Jonathan