clicompanion-devs team mailing list archive

Preparing for 1.1 release (was: Re: more testing )

On 12/21/2011 02:30 PM, Matthew Byers wrote:

> I have not had any issues building. Packaging a new source
> clicompanion_1.1 and release should be good to go.

Maybe I wasn't sufficiently clear.  I think you missed my point about
the .png files :)  It's not just about whether the application builds
correctly, or runs correctly, but whether the way it builds, and its
apparent use of non-source files in the source tree, is acceptable from
a GPL point of view.  I suspect it is, as long as the source file is
also present -- but it would be a lot cleaner if the build actually
built the graphics files it needs from the source .svg graphic file,  so
the source tree would not need to contain the .png files, which are not
"really" source files at all.

The source .svg file for the icon *is* in the clicompanion source tree,
isn't it?  When I do

  bzr branch lp:clicompanion

I do not see it in the resulting tree, for some reason.  If it is truly
missing, then I think that is technically a GPL violation which needs to
be fixed before application release.  I *thought* adding the .svg file
had already been done, though, so I might just be confused...?

I think the 1.1 application release is "good to go" at a technical
level, but may not quite be ready from a legal copyright/licencing
viewpoint.  How picky we need to be on this is not my decision to make.

Speaking of graphics files, did the graphics creator eventually get
himself a new GPG key and sign us an email saying that his work is
released under GPLv3 in the standard way?  That's not needed for
application release, IMO, but it would be pretty useful (and maybe
necessary) for Debian packaging.  And including that email in the source
tarball would be nice, if we can.

SUMMARY:

My suggestions for remaining work items at this point, before a
clicompanion 1.1 source release, would be:

 (1) Add the icon .svg file to the source tree, if it is not there now

 (2) Preferably, fix the build process to use it, and remove the .png
     files from the source tree

 (3) If available, add signed email from the icon creator to source tree

Jonathan