Re: [Merge] ~mgerdts/cloud-init:lp1765801 into cloud-init:master

This knob would be exposed to the owner of the VM, with the default of
having it disabled.  A such, user changes would be preserved in the default
case.  The cloud customer that desires to have updates automatically
applied on reboot would need to set this, potentially at the same time that
networking changes are being made that make it necessary.

For hotplug to be a reality on SmartOS, we would need to do work on the
host side too.  Currently we have no way to hot-plug virtual nics, new
anti-spoofing rules (L2, L3) are only applied at boot, etc.  Hotplug of new
routes should work fine without host changes.  Presumably the host-side
changes that would be needed to support hotplug could make maintain_network
mutually exclusive with hotplug support (if necessary).

I appreciate your concern about feature sprawl that makes future work more
difficult.  At first blush, the risk in this case seems minimal.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~mgerdts/cloud-init/+git/cloud-init/+merge/343712
Your team cloud-init commiters is requested to review the proposed merge of ~mgerdts/cloud-init:lp1765801 into cloud-init:master.