Re: [Merge] ~smoser/cloud-init:fix/1134036-locale-message-change into cloud-init:master

Steve,

Of the 4 points addressed, I think that I addressed
a.) set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 - this is done

b.) a long message - i shortened the message dramatically.

c.) do not show in minimal images - this is not addressed.
I'm not sure how we would address this.  I'd prefer that cloud-init not have specific "This is a Canonical authored Ubuntu minimal image" code, so I'd like some generic mechanism to determine that.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to do that.

d.) limited value of english message.
I generally disagree here, and suggest that it is "good enough" and better than silently changing user's environment variables.  As you said "the vast majority of actual Ubuntu Server users are comfortable navigating a CLI in English even if it is not their first language."

I really don't want to spend much time on this.  I'm not particularly convinced that the arguments in the bug warrant a change in behavior for all users, and I would not personally want to justify this behavioral change in a SRU.  That puts me in the annoying position of having to maintain patches to prior Ubuntu stable releases.

So... I'm perfectly fine if you want to take over from here.  I had this code open and thought I'd try to improve the situation a bit.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~smoser/cloud-init/+git/cloud-init/+merge/348065
Your team cloud-init commiters is requested to review the proposed merge of ~smoser/cloud-init:fix/1134036-locale-message-change into cloud-init:master.