Re: [Merge] ~bitfehler/cloud-init:bitfehler/load_seed into cloud-init:master

> Thanks for sending in the merge proposal.
>

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 7:55 AM Conrad Hoffmann <ch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I previously wrote a message to the mailing list, but without any response
> > so far, so I figured I'd write some more code and try this way. Happy about
> > any suggestions for improvements or guidance for other approaches.
> >
> > Some notes right away:
> >  - The "xenial" tox env does not work for me, even on clean master, is
> > this a known issue?
> >

> That's not know, so if you want to file a bug with your output/failure etc
> we can take a look.

Will do.

> >  - I thought it would be nice to make a holistic change (i.e. changing all
> > callers to the new function), but in fact I do not have access to a test
> > setup for the OVH or CloudStack data sources. How is this usually handled?
> > Is it preferable to not touch any data sources you can not test? Or are
> > there means for this to be tested before it lands in a release?
> >

> We typically do functional behavior changes only in the development release
> and then disable them in older releases to prevent behavioral changes.
> Depending on the change, we may or maynot test directly on those platforms;
> most platform changes are driven from platform owners. That doesn't
> preclude such a change so we'd take it case-by-case.

What would that mean for this PR? Should I leave it as is? Or should I change it so that only the nocloud data source uses the new function? I don't mind this waiting for the next release, I do understand it is a slight change in behavior.

Thanks again,
Conrad