Re: [ec2ubuntu] Re: Is it possible to pass a multipart cloud-init payload to an ubuntu vagrant box?

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013, ian@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm wondering the same thing -- insight on how to get multipart cloud-init
> userdata working with Vagrant would be really valuable.
>
> We've got several ideas:
>
>    - In Vagrant's provisioning step, invoke cloud-init from the shell, and
>    pass it our user-data.  This would be the easiest, but I can't figure out
>    if it's possible.
>    - Bake a new Vagrant image with our own user-data in
>    /var/lib/cloud/instances/nocloud/  This would mean a new image every time
>    the config changes.
>    - Bake a new Vagrant image that points to a Datasource that we create.
>     This seems like the most "correct" solution, since it would parallel the
>    way EC2 works.
>
> But again, if anyone has dealt with this already, it would save a bunch of
> people some headaches!

Ben Howard has looked at this a bit.
In my mind, the end goal would be to get a "vagrant datasource".  He did
some work at
https://code.launchpad.net/~utlemming/cloud-init/DataSourceVBOX/+merge/144828
but both of us agreed it wasn't really ready to be merged.

I really would like to have vagrant use Ubuntu images, and IMHO (obviously
I'm biased) I think it makes sense for vagrant to offload much of its
instance-initialization to cloud-init.

Also note, 'ec2ubuntu' is clearly a good source for information on
cloud-init as there are lots of people here who have used it.  However,
this thread seems really more "cloud-init" specific, so I've copied
the cloud-init mailing list.  Please lets at least dual post there.  You
can join that list at https://launchpad.net/~cloud-init