Re: version and release discussion

On 09/05/2017 01:32 PM, Scott Moser wrote:
> Hello all,
> We had a cloud-init meeting today in #cloud-init.
> You can see the whole discussion at
>   https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2017/09/05/%23cloud-init.html#t16:32
>
> The biggest followup item from the in-person meeting (notes at
> https://lists.launchpad.net/cloud-init/msg00094.html) was to discuss
> release items such as frequency and version numbers.  'Proposal: Roll over
> to 1.0.0'.
>
> In discussion today we agreed with the following plan
>  * I pretend that i flipped a coin and it came up in favor of my
>    preference (no minor version linked to month)
>  * I write to mailing list with that as the plan and suggesting
>    the target release date of 17.1 on the 21st of September.
>  * I ask for anyone who would *strongly* oppose to say so
>
> We also would shoot for a release every 3 months.  I'd like to suggest
> that that be fairly hard-target unless there is basically no changes to
> release.
>
> So, if you have some reason to strongly oppose to the above, please do.

Since I had to miss the meeting due to fire fighting :( I will use this
thread to state my opinion, I do not have *strong* or other objections
to the proposed scheme.

I agree that semantic versioning for cloud-init would be difficult and
thus is maybe not appropriate. I do have the concern that when the time
comes and incompatible changes are unavoidable there is no way to
communicate this through the version number. This may be YAGNI syndrome,
but never say never. That said a time based release schedule with a time
based versioning is certainly a, IMHO, reasonable approach leading to a
maximum of a .4 release in any given year, if we assume the release will
not come earlier but might slip some times. Although the jump from 0.7.9
to 17.1 is rather large, documentation of the change in versioning
should easily explain this and then we'd be done.

In summary a +1 from me on the change.

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                   MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
Distinguished Architect                       LINUX