Re: cloud-init removal of python 2.6 support, and python 2 deprecation plan

Hi Scott,

I think it's great that we're moving on from Python 2!

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:19:46PM -0400, Scott Moser wrote:
> ## Python 2.7 support ##
> cloud-init will drop support Python 2.7 in June of 2020.
>
> As part of thinking about dropping support for Python 2.6, we have also
> discussed the future inevitable drop of Python 2 entirely.
>
> The June 2020 date is in line with the end of life for Python 2.7 from
> Python upstream, which currently says " there will be bugfix releases
> until 2020."

Per the Python 2.7 PEP[0], Python 2.7 support will end on January 1st,
2020.  The last 2.7 release will be cut in the days following that.

(I would suggest that it would make sense to have the last Python 2.7
supporting release be the one that goes out in December 2019.  That way,
the first release after 2.7's EOL will drop 2.7 support.)

Cheers,

Dan

[0] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#maintenance-releases