Upcoming cloud-init 19.4 and ending py2.7 support

Hi cloud-init,

I wanted to give an update on the upcoming releases and uploads for cloud-init for the rest of the year.

First, we have started a stable release update (SRU) for Ubuntu. This will release the tip of cloud-init to the currently supported Ubuntu releases. This included Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial), 18.04 LTS (Bionic), 19.04 (Disco), and 19.10 (Eoan). We estimate the SRU to be released on Thursday, December 12.

Next, we plan to cut the final release of the year, 19.4, on Tuesday, December 17. For any features and bug fixes desired for this release, we would like to have landed any merge proposals by the end of the day Friday, December 13.

Finally, the 19.4 release will be the last release to support Python 2.7 as previously announced [1]. After the release we will cut a branch that can continue to receive updates, similar to what we did for ending Python 2.6 support. Between that release and the 20.1 release we will remove Python 2 support from CI tests, tox, etc.

If you have any questions or concern with the above please feel free to reply here or chat with us in #cloud-init on Freenode.

Thanks,
Josh

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/cloud-init/msg00227.html