Re: Another kind of package.

Yeah,  I see what you mean about the data directories and config files.  If
the web apps wanted to follow any type of standard, they would have used
/etc or /usr/local/etc on UNIX boxes too.

I like your last approach then with \inetpub\applications\vendor\app.
Though, would we need "applications" in the path?  I don't think it adds
much except another level.  The vendor directory should remove any conflicts
with local software.

And should the app directory contain the version string in it?  This would
allow multiple versions to be installed without wiping out the previous
configuration. When I deploy my web apps I always create new directories
with the new version, copy the needed app_data files, then point IIS admin
at the new folder.  If it doesn't work, I can quickly point IIS back to the
old one.

Definitely not under wwwroot.  Most people who install IIS probably don't
know enough to secure that directory and default web site.  It would expose
entire web sites that the user may not want published by default and under
the wrong URLs.

Trev.