Von: coapp-developers-bounces+jackdornothing=projectalpha.de@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:coapp-developers-bounces+jackdornothing=projectalpha.de@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Timothy Procter
Gesendet: Freitag, 16. April 2010 04:47
An: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [Coapp-developers] Strictness of the Directory Structure

I'm fairly new to this mailing list, so maybe this has already been discussed, but I'm a bit concerned that we're being too strict with the directory locations.

There absolutely needs to be a well thought out standard for where everything goes. This should be the default behaviour for any use of the tool. Otherwise, we quickly evolve into chaos with every developer or user choosing a different alternative that becomes very difficult to manage.

The caution is that there are always edge cases were you need something a little different. There should be some way to allow non-default behaviour. Otherwise we're quickly limiting the use of the tool for certain applications.

For example, I may need to install more than one of the same application on a system in different locations. Or, I may want to have a third-party application bundled with one I'm distributing, and deliberately keep it segregated from anything else that might happen on the environment. This is a common practice for highly sensitive production servers.

Internally, using 'lib','bin','doc', etc works for most implementations.
But sometimes an application warrants something else. The developer should be able to modify the defaults if needed.

I like what I've seen so far for suggestions regarding a standard, but if there's no flexibility, we'll be turning people away.

Appreciate any feedback,
Tim Procter

--
Look for Paul & Alex at Collaborate 2010 presenting "Worst Practices of IT Outsourcing". To meet with either, send a note to events@xxxxxxxxxxx