Re: Common library paths

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/4/16 Pierre Joye <pierre.php@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> I'm not sure the development files should end in a common directory.
>> As it has been mentioned in this thread, it will not be possible to
>> have multiple versions of a library. However I'm really not sure that
>> the development files and the distribution package should follow the
>> same rules. They have very different goals.
>
>> Having a common (or global) include directory can also introduce
>> problems. They cannot be solved without introducing other rules
>> (version numbering rules for ABI/API compatibility, add extra
>> directory like include/zlib12/). But these rules may force developers
>> to modify their code for windows only, the #include part. That's a
>> small change but yet another one.
>
> IMO changing includes is not an option.
>
>> I would rather put them in the application directory instead and add
>> the right path to the include/lib paths (or copy/symlink, depending on
>> the developer needs or configuration).
>
> What is the reason we're talking about paths already? Isn't this an
> implementation detail?

I think it is.

For the record here, we have defined some rules for the PHP
compilation process (which happens to be one of the trigger for this
project). It makes the build process very flexible, using various
libraries versions without having to worry about breaking other
branches build:

and then inside this:
\branche\compiler\arch
 |_ deps
     |_ include
     |_ lib
     |_ bin
     |_ templates (resources)
 |_ src

the various paths in the projects/makefiles (be php itself or some
libs) can be set once for all without worrying of the absolute
location of the dependencies development files.

Cheers,
--
Pierre