Re: VC project generator / how-to

hi,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Garrett Serack <garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Solving this correctly isn't going to happen overnight, and I'm less worried about quickly getting a way to get compiling on Windows to work, than I am about solving the whole problem (source -> build -> package -> publish)
>
> Generating VC project files that do not depend on Shared Library Packages is a short-term hack. Fixing the one in the middle isn't accelerating the whole thing anyway.
>
> PJ>> I would suggest to focus first on getting a finished package from binaries
> PJ>> (using some definition data). Doing so will allow a lot of project to test
> PJ>> the packages solution easily without having to change their build
> PJ>> infrastructure or methods.
>
> I can already build packages by hand. It's a lot of damn work, and it's not sustainable, and is only useful as a temporary work around. Building the tools to handle all of this will happen, and in a reasonable time-frame.

I'm not expecting anything overnight, neither next week/month. Having
worked on similar system for PHP, I very well know how hard and time
consuming it is to define such standards and get it accepted, let
alone the implementation of the tools to help developers to package
their applications. That's why I suggest to focus on this critical and
complex part, the packaging and distribution.

Cheers,
--
Pierre