Re: What packages do you want to see?

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Pierre Joye <pierre.php@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Never happens on Linux, and isn't (forced) to be happening here.
>>
>> Windows is not linux, it has its constraints (and advantages) that
>> force developers to actually do the builds as well. Whether these
>> binaries will be packaged or distributed by them or 3rd party (some
>> CoApp structure for example) is an open question at this stage.
>
> Why can't building be done by a third party?

Why would we not support 3rd party binaries of our software?

No control of what they do (custom patches), different compilers
version with different bugs which have not been caught (or can't) by
our CI/QA processes. Signed binaries using companies signature. etc.

That's why PHP does not support 3rd party builds for example, so does
many projects with linux packages. It is also the reasons why all
distributions have their own issues tracker as most of the bugs are
actually not a bug in the upstream version. I don't think CoApp can do
that in the long run on Windows.

Cheers,
--
Pierre