From: Ferdi [mailto:foerdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:51 AM
To: Garrett Serack
Cc: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] Choice of License.

Why not Ms-PL? easy...
2010/5/18 Garrett Serack <garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

I've been looking at this carefully, and it boils down to a couple of choices:

New BSD (simple, direct, but a bit vague)

Or

Apache License 2.0.

The nice part of the AL is that its language is quite clear about what means what, and specifically what is being granted, whereas the BSD license is relying upon a lot of 'implied' license of patents and whatnot.

The AL also directly limits liability-always a good thing.

Unless someone can give me a significantly good reason to rethink this, I'd say we should go with the AL 2.0 for all the code we create.

Shallow-forks of other projects should maintain the licenses of their upstream originators.

<http://fearthecowboy.com/>

Garrett Serack | Microsoft's Open Source Software Developer | Microsoft Corporation
Office:(425)706-7939                                       email/messenger: garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
blog: http://fearthecowboy.com                                      twitter: @fearthecowboy<http://fearthecowboy.com/>

I don't make the software you use; I make the software you use better on Windows.<http://fearthecowboy.com/>

 <http://fearthecowboy.com/>