Project Notes and Status update

Hey y'all,

I'm finally back from travelling, and it looks like I should be staying put for several weeks, which is really great news, 'cause I can start getting more work done...

Recent News
-----------------
I went to OSCON, where I gave a presentation on CoApp. It was well received, and I made some really nice connections with some folks while I was there.

Foremost, there was one of the developers from Mozilla FireFox in the audience, we connected right after my session, and he was quite excited, as CoApp's vision would solve many issues that FireFox has with packaging and distribution.

I also approached by an O'Reilly book editor who thinks that once we're down the road a bit, that we could do a CoApp book for O'Reilly. That would be really cool.

I talked for about an hour with a developer from XBMC, and again we could be solving a lot of packaging problems for them as well. I think I'll be following up with him for sure.

Recent Work
-----------------
Rafael has been coding on CoApp-Trace like a man on a mission, and is making some really great progress.  He's taken my idea and improved upon it by 1000 fold.

Elizabeth has started to amass some code for the API which she's going to push very soon.

Trevor has started working on the CoApp-Scan tool.

I've spent a bunch of time getting the VM server up and running, and I've got many VM images (xp, 2k3, 2k8, win7) that I can duplicate for building and testing of CoApp. If you would like a virtual machine with the software set up for development, give me a shout, I can replicate a VM for you.

I setup most of the sub-projects for CoApp, so that anyone can grab the source and start hacking.

I've also started building the CLI app, we're gonna need that for testing.

I'm now working on the mkSpec tool, which will crank out the .spec files (taking input from trace and scan). Once that's built, I'll move on to the mkProject tool.

Once mkProject is functional, we can start work on shallow-forking of packages we know we'll need.

Sponsorship
As with any open source project, I'm always open to finding sponsors to pay for and donate goods and services. Microsoft has donated lots of server space, hosting (and of course, uh, me!).

I met with some folks from Mindtouch (the fantastic company that makes the wiki software that http://coapp.org uses) and they are going to give us a license for the commercial version (which has some really cool features, and should actually have functional OpenID authentication amongst other things). THANK YOU MINDTOUCH!

Garrett Serack | Microsoft's Open Source Software Developer | Microsoft Corporation
Office:(425)706-7939                                       email/messenger: garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
blog: http://fearthecowboy.com<http://fearthecowboy.com/>                                      twitter: @fearthecowboy<http://twitter.com/fearthecowboy>

I don't make the software you use; I make the software you use better on Windows.

GIF image