Progress on mkSpec...

I just thought I'd drop a note about the progress I'm making on mkSpec (the tool that takes source code and generates compiler-independent build data from it... which is a short jump from project files & make files. :D)

Rafael and I also spent a tremendous amount of time refactoring the Trace utility, and that work should be popping soon.

It already can handle creating multiple targets, and can scan multiple directory trees for source code for a given project.

It's not ready for anyone else to use, but it's making really good progress :D

Right now, mkSpec can generate my .spec files based on source code alone, (via all the work that Trevor did with coapp-scan) and with that data it can take the source code from grep.exe, and with the following command line:

coapp-mkSpec --load-config=grep.properties

where grep.properties contains:

# grep.exe properties file
author=Tim Charron/GNU
version=2.0.4.0
author-version=2.0d
publisher=Garrett Serack

it generates a spec file:
(The really really cool part here, is that it automatically guesses the product name by scanning the contents of the source files)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<target xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
  <metadata>
    <author>Tim Charron/GNU</author>
    <authorVersion>2.0d</authorVersion>
    <product>grep.exe</product>
    <version>2.0.4.0</version>
    <publisher>Garrett Serack</publisher>
  </metadata>
  <group name="source files">
    <file id="dfa.c" />
    <file id="getopt.c" />
    <file id="grep.c" />
    <file id="kwset.c" />
    <file id="obstack.c" />
    <file id="regex.c" />
    <file id="search.c" />
    <file id="src\alloca.c" />
  </group>
  <group name="header files">
    <file id="dfa.h" />
    <file id="Everything.h" />
    <file id="getopt.h" />
    <file id="getpagesize.h" />
    <file id="grep.h" />
    <file id="kwset.h" />
    <file id="obstack.h" />
    <file id="regex.h" />
  </group>
  <group name="resource files" />
  <group name="text files">
    <file id="AUTHORS" />
    <file id="ChangeLog" />
    <file id="COPYING" />
    <file id="ggrep.man" />
    <file id="grep.man" />
    <file id="grep.txt" />
    <file id="INSTALL" />
    <file id="MANIFEST" />
    <file id="NEWS" />
    <file id="README" />
    <file id="README.W32" />
  </group>
</target>

Garrett Serack | Microsoft's Open Source Software Developer | Microsoft Corporation
Office:(425)706-7939                                       email/messenger: garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
blog: http://fearthecowboy.com<http://fearthecowboy.com/>                                      twitter: @fearthecowboy<http://twitter.com/fearthecowboy>

I don't make the software you use; I make the software you use better on Windows.

GIF image

Follow ups