From: coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Stone
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:32 AM
To: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] Codesigning for the masses.

This sounds like a really strong idea. I'm surprised that more projects / platforms don't take advantage of the decentralized management architecture pioneered by DNS, and what you're proposing is a kind of DNS-like code signing network.

I guess my first question would be: "If this is such a great idea, why isn't it already being done elsewhere?". This leads me to my naive second question, which is probably worth throwing in here to inform the discussion: "What exactly is the state of the art with respect to code-signing generally, and who, beyond the CoApp project, is exemplifying some 'best practitces' here?" A better sense of the industry standard would probably help sort out the strengths and weaknesses of your proposal.

-Mark
--
Mark  Stone || mark.stone@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:mark.stone@xxxxxxxxx> || 253-223-2159 || Technical Project Manager, Adxstudio
Co-author  and Editor, "Open Sources", "Open Sources 2.0"