Re: CoApp (or Outercurve) and Google Summer of Code

I can't speak to the administrative hassles - but I've done GSoC mentoring for the last two years for the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) project. It is rewarding and fun from a mentoring perspective and the only "paperwork" I had to do as mentor was to (1) create proposal, (2) report on student progress twice, and (3) submit receipts for the mentor summit travel to the project admin. During the project, I spend about 2-4h a week per student on communications, technical support and program management. Time commitment is a bit more during "retro-weeks" or at the beginning and end of the project.

GSoC definitely has the benefits you list below for a project. While one of the ideas for GSoC is to bring in fresh folks into FOSS projects and make them long-term contributors, this may or may not work. My students didn't "stick" with SDL, but in each case some good work got done that lives on in the source code. Another secondary effect is the fact, that up to 2 mentors get to go to the GSoC mentor summit. There one can mix&mingle with others, promote ones project, learn what is going on in OSS, etc. - such interactions can definitely lead to new synergies and expanded efforts. The key in my view is to have some well-rounded and clear project proposals, one or more backup mentor(s) for technical questions, and sufficient scale (i.e. several projects/students/mentors) so an individual failure - which may happen - doesn't affect the spirit and overall outcome of GSoC participation.

For what's its worth: I'd be interested to do GSoC mentoring again.

--Andreas