context team mailing list archive

Re: new Open Solaris support

> How about:
>
>   intel == i386
>   amd64 == x86_64
>   (and just forget about ia64 == itanium)

  Sounds good to me.  Since Intel imposed its name on the x86 processor
family, it sounds only fair that we choose AMD for the subclass of
64-bit processors :-)  By the way, I wonder how Intel, the company,
feels about all this; I read somewhere that Xerox was unhappy about its
name being used as a synonym for photocopy (and it's indeed amazing how
the widespread the word has become, I even saw it in Kazakhstan.  Of
course, there it's spelled ксерокс).

> and then:
>
> 	freebsd       freebsd-intel
> 	linux-64      linux-amd64
> 	linux-ppc     linux-ppc
> 	linux         linux-intel (or just linux?)
> 	mswin         mswin
> 	osx-intel     osx-intel
> 	osx-ppc       osx-ppc
> 	osx-universal osx-universal
> 	sun           solaris-sparc (this *is* sparc, yes?)
>         -             solaris-intel

  Looks great, but I don't know if the change can be made today without
breaking everything.  And yes, the "other" processor for Solaris is
Sparc.  Ultra-Sparc, to be more precise, a 64-bit family of processors.

	Arthur