context team mailing list archive

Re: new Open Solaris support

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How about:
>>
>>   intel == i386
>>   amd64 == x86_64
>>   (and just forget about ia64 == itanium)
>
>  Sounds good to me.  Since Intel imposed its name on the x86 processor
> family, it sounds only fair that we choose AMD for the subclass of
> 64-bit processors :-)  By the way, I wonder how Intel, the company,
> feels about all this; I read somewhere that Xerox was unhappy about its
> name being used as a synonym for photocopy (and it's indeed amazing how
> the widespread the word has become, I even saw it in Kazakhstan.  Of
> course, there it's spelled ксерокс).
>

>> and then:
>>
>>       freebsd       freebsd-intel
>>       linux-64      linux-amd64
>>       linux-ppc     linux-ppc
>>       linux         linux-intel (or just linux?)
>>       mswin         mswin
>>       osx-intel     osx-intel
>>       osx-ppc       osx-ppc
>>       osx-universal osx-universal
>>       sun           solaris-sparc (this *is* sparc, yes?)
>>         -             solaris-intel
>
>  Looks great, but I don't know if the change can be made today without
> breaking everything.

OK, so for the time being, I'll use solaris-intel and rename sun to
solaris-sparc (which is broken anyway since I didn't get any new
binaries :P)

I would not rename linux, and I only know two freebsd users so far (we
could start parsing the logs and savisg some info), so renaming
freebsd into freebsd-intel should not be a problem. (Don't these
binaries work on "all" processors?) We can do that for 64-bit linux as
well ... just read forward ...

I still have an item on my TODO list: create a more user-friendly
installer (& switch to git somehow). I would do any renames (and maybe
switch to osx-universal?) together with that move (old binaries can
stay on the server for some time). If people will want to swich to the
new installer, they "won't notice" renaming. (Actually, if they
reinstall again, the installer should download another tree and leave
the old one there - in case of any troubles, reruning [some new
version of] first-setup.sh should solve the problem entirely.)

Mojca