context team mailing list archive

Re: Luatex 0.43.0 announcement

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:22, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> That's right, no one complained till now. Thanks God I never had to
> bother about glibc compatibility but it seems there are ways to build
> backward compatible programs on fresher Debian systems. I don't know
> if it helps but maybe
>
> http://wiki.freegamedev.net/index.php/Portable_binaries

I don't know how to intepret their text (I don't have too much time at
the moment either), but quoting them:

As an example, a binary compiled on a Debian Lenny system with glibc
2.7 won't run on a Debian Sarge system with glibc 2.3 because the
older glibc version doesn't have all the features found and used when
the binary was compiled on a newer system. A binary compiled on Debian
Sarge will run on Debian Lenny, however, thanks to backwards
compatibility.

In practice, all this means is that you need to compile your
application in a sufficiently old distribution. Examples of
distributions that have been used successfully for making portable
binaries include old glibc 2.2.5 based Red Hat Linux versions, Debian
Sarge, and Debian Etch.

Mojca