Re: Try build in MSVS2008

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 11:03 +0200, Jussi Pakkanen wrote:

> The idea is to create a standalone windows installer that holds all
> the files and installs them to some directory. At this point Cuneiform
> will just work, no matter where it is called from.

I used to package software with InnoSetup which is an Open Source
installer with BSD-like licence. 8 years ago I was quite proficient with
Windows-based software installers, so that I even hacked together the
first multilingual support patch for InnoSetup. Maybe I can refresh my
skills if time permits.

The main advantages of this package is that it is just hyper-stable, has
LZMA compression support and small EXE overhead, feature-rich, has a big
set of quality translations and most importantly uses a Pascal dialect
for custom scripting in the installer (another popular package, NSIS,
uses ASM-like syntax and proprietary MSI-based installers like WISE,
InstallShield and Ghost use some braindead weird custom syntaxes).

So I can put some effort in creating an InnoSetup script for Cuneiform
if I manage to compile it with MSVC, if anyone is interested.

I will probably have some spare time on the New Years eve.

> b) the directory that holds windummy.dll (determined at runtime)

Don't you think it's better to create say lib and data subdirectories in
the same folder that holds windummy.dll and cuneiform-cli.exe (or
whatever)?

Just a thought.

--
Sincerely yours,