Re: Can I use FreeImage library (license question)

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 11:36 +0200, Jussi Pakkanen wrote:

> I really, *really* hate projects that invent their own licenses. It
> just adds unnecessary complications.

Ironically, it appears that ImageMagik is exactly one of those :-)

> The license page has a limitation similar to the "BSD advertising
> clause" which is is incompatible with GPL. Then it says that you have
> to use it even if you use the code under the GPL.

I finally got your point after reading the BSD Licence Problem article:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/bsd.html

It is still unclear to me how this clause renders the licence
incompatible with GPL and invalidates the latter (I understand and agree
with the reasoning about practical problems, but still I don't see how
this *contradicts* GPL), but you are right that we are then forced to
use FreeImage under FIPL.

Furthermore, FIPL is some MPL-flavor stuff and adds many complications
if we are ever to change something in the library and then we are
tethering the code actually depending on FreeImage with the advertising
clause.

So yes, I think you are right that this is something to avoid unless it
provides some unique advantages (which it doesn't).

Dmitry, a practical explanation of interest might be found here:

http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=9247

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev