MSVC problem

Hi all

As you may have noticed, I have not merged from the refactoring branch
in quite some time. The problem is that the current code causes
problems with MSVC. i get the following error:

Creating library C:\xxx\cuneiform\build-vs\Debug\cfio.lib and object
C:\xxxx\workspace\cuneiform\build-vs\Debug\cfio.exp
ctcstorageheader.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
"class CIF::CTC::CTCControl * Control_ctc"
(?Control_ctc@@3PAVCTCControl@CTC@CIF@@A)

The problem is this line in ctcstorageheader.cpp:

extern CTCControl * Control_ctc;

Which should point to this definition in dllmain.cpp:

CTCControl * Control_ctc = NULL;

But it doesn't. On Linux, OSX and MinGW it works perfecly and if I use
Visual Studio's object browser, the object is listed.

I have no experience with MSVC so any help would be gladly accepted.

I really want to keep MSVC as a supported platform, but unfortunately
this issue is blocking the whole development. If this is not resolved
soon, I may have to drop MSVC support altogether.