Re: An interesting use for CuneiForm in UNIX?

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 10:28 -0500, Ryan Brown wrote:

> As I gather, CuneiForm would be a great jumping-off point to
> developing this project.

I would say this greatly depends on the particular games / consoles that
you are using, video capture quality and a number of other factors.

Cuneiform is a highly sophisticated and poorly documented piece of
software engineered with OCR of high quality scans of printed text.

In my opinion, a clean custom implementation of some simple segmentation
and pattern matching algorithms (or even a classical perceptron-based
neural network) might yield much better results and turn out way easier
to implement & maintain.

To devise a solution, I think you should start by collecting a number of
typical samples of the input screens, which would allow you to evaluate
the available options to make a more conscious choice.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev