dailydebs-team team mailing list archive

Re: Timestamps in version numbers

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:58 AM, James Westby<jw+debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do any of you use timestamps in the version numbers for your packages?
> If so do you use local time or UTC?

kde-nightly-kdesupport 20090630+svn989702-0neon1

However, I must add that Project Neon is only using a timestamp in the
version for user convenience, clearly KDE/Amarok Nightlies are quite
different in use and versioning compared to other daily build projects
;-)
Anyway, I live by the rule that UTC is the ultimate standard everyone
should comply to, and whenever I have to fiddle with time values in an
application (that is: time values other than "now") I use and store in
UTC and just convert to local upon output/user interaction.

+1 on UTC :)

regards,
Harald