dailydebs-team team mailing list archive

Re: Timestamps in version numbers

Fabien Tassin wrote:
>> If so do you use local time or UTC?
>
> I try to use UTC when the upstream VCS uses local committer times, like
> hg, leading to dates in the past (sometimes weeks in the past) and then
> to rejects. If I know the VCS uses a unique TZ with always increasing
> dates, i don't really care about forcing UTC (not to mention it's not
> always possible depending on the VCS).

Ah, I use the timestamp when the source package was constructed, so it
doesn't matter what the VCS thinks. I wonder if your approach has
advantages? I agree that the timestamp isn't enough, so having the
commit id is good, so it doesn't really matter, timestamp when the
package is constructed is probably just easier then.

> I tried to work with a VCS imported in bzr but the commit ids ment
> nothing to upstream, so i had to take another path. I'm interested to
> know if/how you solved that.

The imports should be able to tell you the upstream commit id from the
bzr commit id. Launchpad CVS/SVN imports can't I don't think, but their
git imports can, and bzr-svn based imports can as well. That seems to
be the way to go.

Thanks,

James