Re: Roadmap issues

reverting to list ...

2009/4/23 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Lars for the update.
>>
>> I have just updated the whiteboard on the dxf blueprint here:
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/dxf-format
>>
>> I'd be interested in your comments.  I know you've put a lot of work
>> into the import-export stuff so I'm sensitive about making
>> suggestions, but I do believe that some of the benefits of revamping
>> some of this are quite substantial.  Tell me what you think.
>
> I am very happy for suggestions on how to improve things:)
>
> I think your points are quite valid (and I see that the current solutions is
> not optimal).
>
> 1, 2, 7 are nice improvements that won't break backwards compatibility. Feel
> free to modify things right away.

OK.  I'll work on that,  Some decisions need to be taken around the
URI to used to identify the namespace but I will discuss the merits
and options on the list.

> 3, 4, 5 are improvements that would require only small modifications to the
> import code and would obviously make things faster. My only concern is
> backwards compatibility. If we introduce this for a specific release and
> inform the users we might get away with it. We could also maintain code that
> uses the (new) version attribute to achieve backwards compatibility for a
> while. Bharath, Saptarshi, any comments here?

I doubt if 3 would require any modifications to existing consumers
import code.  But I'll check,

I agree that we should absolutely maintain backward compatibility with
the existing format.  I yes think the way to address it is that new
producers of the existing format will start adding a version attribute
1.0.  Existing consumers will simply ignore it which is fine.

Phasing in new producers will obviously require some management and
co-ordination between exchanging parties.  A version 1.1 might include
the new format dataValues.

> 6 complicates the current import strategy where objects get imported "on the
> fly" without temporary storage, maybe we can put this on hold.

Probably ..

> 8 I don't have too much experience with, but I like the concept and if it
> can be done I'm excited to follow the development here.

Lets see how it goes.

Cheers
Bob