Re: Roadmap issues

2009/4/23 Saptarshi Purkayastha <sunbiz@xxxxxxxxx>:
> All of the points should be done for the next version of the DHIS2 release.
> They all are quite simple to implement and definitely serve the purpose of
> using XML as an interchange format. We have had discussions on this during
> the workshop in Delhi in the hotel rooms and lobbies I think.
>
> 9.) A point Bob missed out: those namespaces (and the schema) could be web
> links where one can follow that link on a webpage explaining the format. The
> XSLT are also very imp step in the process because that can mean a lot of
> direct database code can be avoided and anyone may want to use these to get
> reports, excels, and whatever they are called for with those awesome XML
> engines available today :-)

There are a few options regarding namespace identification, mostly
coming down to URN or URL based URI's. (urrrr soup).  In the end its
not that critical but I generally favour the URL based approach.  As
promised I'll try and objectively lay out the arguments when we get to
it.

> 10.) We should use orgUnit, orgUnitId... for similar things that can be
> obviously shortened in name.

Not so sure we want to go too far down this road.  XML should always
be readable.  Although OOXML has broken new ground with tags like
<w:r> etc.

> 11.) We can use an encrypted = <bool> flag in the manifest. We may just want
> to encrypt credit card numbers/patient records for an accounting
> system/name-based system based on DHIS ;-)

There are lots of encryption options to consider.  But definitely take
advantage of the fact we have a manifest and a zip container to work
in.

Cheers
Bob