Re: Offline Question

Hi Paul,

Sorry for this very late answer.

The most common way to solve this problem is to run DHIS2 as an offline
application (as a complete stand alone system or in a local network), which
is what we do in most places. You can easily run DHIS2 without an Internet
connection by starting up tomcat on localhost (the local computer), and
accessing it in your browser on e.g. http://localhost:8080/.

The way data is synchronised between two or more offline instances of DHIS
is then through the import/export services. Metadata and data values will be
exported to an XML file using the DXF format and then imported into the
database on the destination computer. This is all taken care of through the
user interface and by normal end-users, e.g. no need to be a system admin
person to master this process. In DHIS2 go to Services->Import-Export to
check out how this works.

Alternatively, in cases where you will not be able to install DHIS in an
office, e.g. due to lack of computer and human capacity, a scenario could be
to eneter data in Excel, in pre-defined templates, that later are sent to
the office where DHIS is used/maintained. There it gets imported in a
similar way to what is described above for XML. This functionality is not in
place yet, although I think some local installations in India have already
used this approach. This feature has been discussed on this list before and
I think it will be included in a future release (2.0.3 or 2.0.4).

Hope that answered your question. If not, please let me know.

Ola Hodne Titlestad |Technical Officer|
Health Metrics Network (HMN) | World Health Organization
Avenue Appia 20 |1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland | Email: titlestado@xxxxxxx|Tel:
+41 788216897
Website: www.healthmetricsnetwork.org

Better Information. Better Decisions. Better Health.