Re: DHIS2 - Struts2 - Spring Security2

Hi Murod

2009/8/14 Murodullo Latifov <murodlatifov@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Bob,
>
> Don't agree, I don't think LDAP gives something special, though it is
> there, we can activate it. Its useful when lazy guy does not want to login
> again, because he already logged into his windows machine and mostly have no
> time for this.

I don't think ldap has really much to do with the lazy guy who doesn't want
to login again.  Its more about the lazy system/network administrator.  In
an enterprise environment (not a small clinic, but maybe WHO, a national or
even large district health department office) it is quite likely that there
is an existing directory server - typically an AD or Novell setup.   When
you are responsible for that kind of environment you want to avoid a
multiplicity of new systems being placed on the network which require their
own separate administration of users.  So if you are smart you place in your
procurement guidelines that any new system being purchased must integrate
into the existing directory setup.  This is also nice for tender evaluations
because its an easy box to tick and eliminate lots of systems on objective
grounds.  That is why it is a standard feature on almost any enterprise
scale software you might think of - alfresco, liferay, plone, jira, zenoss,
sharepoint, zimbra, exchange, sharepoint etc etc.

Now this array is not our common use case, but in an enterprise of 200 users
it is much more likely that dhis should be expected to play along nicely
with everything else.  And it's great that spring security allows it.  Don't
get me wrong - I really don't think it is a priority.  Just welcoming the
new possibility we now have.

> In this case he can tick "remember me" once, actually new functionality on
> security, and every next time from that machine he will be authenticated
> automatically.

I think we should consider disabling this feature.  Its not a good idea to
allow this.

Anyway, don't mean to sabotage your call ... you are calling for use cases
for user roles.

Regards
Bob