Re: On categories and dimensions and zooks

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM, <johansa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> However, there does seem to be the ability to assign dimensions, there
> >> does
> >> not seem to be the ability to assign particular elements within those
> >> dimensions to a particular DHIS data element.
>

> Just some more clarification here: you can make category combos which you
> assign to data elements. However, it is not possible to assign just
> specific parts of a category combo (only some of the category options) to
> a data element.

Yes, this was exactly what I wanted. Assigning different categories would
seem to break the dimensionality.

> Then you must make a specific category (as the only one in
> or part of a new category combo) with just those options. It can be hell;
> in Tajikistan there were way over 20 categories I think, at least 10 just
> on various age groups.
>
> Johan

This was my fear.

I will need to do some testing and see. I still fear it is not exactly the
intended functionality.

Basically, I think I need something akin to the exclusive/compulsory groups
that are in place for organizational units, but instead, for arbitrary
dimensions. I will give a try and see what happens.

Thanks,
Jason