Re: On categories and dimensions and zooks

Yes your suggestion is doable and less is better .... but I think the
requirement from the field is more complex.

If, for a moment, we stop talking about datavalues and talk about
dataelements - why are we talking about dimension combinations?

Because you are assuming a dataelement to have only one dimension. Am I
correct? If that is the case, I see a little bit of inconsistency here.
DataElement talks about one dimesion, but its corresponding value talks
about combination of dimensions.

Yes from the datavalue I can have dimensionelementcombinations, pick
dimensionelments regroup and put them in their corresponding dimesions -- in
the end telling me from which dimension they came from. But from this point
onwards I am no more talking about a value of a single dataelement but a
value for combination of dataelements (because I have to pull different
dataelements which can give me the identified dimensions) .... but is this
what we want?

The other point I would like the raise is - will there not be any limitation
on the flexibility of the system when putting the restriction "A Dimension
has many DimensionElements.  But a DimensionElement is a member of only one
Dimension" ? Not only system flexibility problem, I see a logical problem as
well. Because if we think for example beyond the obvious
SEX(male,female,unknown) - I see a strong need for letting dimensionelements
to be member of multiple dimensions: For example take the other obvious
dimension - AGE. And assume <5 yrs, 5-10 yrs, and <5 yrs as its
dimesionelements. May be such scaling of the AGE dimension is approrpiate
for Malaria case, but for TB case people might be interested to break the
AGE dimension into <5yrs, 5-10yrs, 10-15yrs, >15yrs - so how are we going to
handle cases like this? Are we going to define a number of <5yrs or are we
going to use the same <5yr dimensionelement ?

Thank you
Abyot.